Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jtec Radiowave 2.8m MX2 Build(s)

I am
    Alan H
    Last Online
    07-25-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: Jtec Radiowave 2.8m MX2 Build(s)

A few pics of what I have been able to get done over the past few days...

Pics 1 & 2 show the tailwheel area built up and shaped, the plywood plate around the boom will allow plenty of movement for "suspension" and give a good anchor for the covering. I had glued in a shaped 1/8" plywood plate for the stringers to butt up at about the mid point of the rear plate (just ahead of the tailgear boom) and I cut and glued in some 3/8" x 3/8" light balsa into the stringers at the corners and shaped them to give that transition smoother lines.

Next is the main landing gear mount, I used the aluminum angle supplied but I glued in some 1" wide 1/4" plywood blocks to the outside of the tunnel to give a bit more meat to bolt through and I also added two plywood strips across & inside the angle to give the blind nuts something to grab into. The runways I fly off are good but not perfect so I felt a bit more beef was needed. My TT Yak 54 had the same aluminum set up and it did tear out on what I felt was not that tough of a situation and when I rebuilt that area the tunnel sides were split out and the aluminum had hardly twisted so I tried to build this so the aluminum would let go before the sides did.

The hatch is done as far I can take it (until the t-deck is done), everything lined up very nicely and I may sand a very slight bevel to the bottom outside edges of the hatch tabs so they find their slots a bit easier but will wait until I am fitting the finished hatch. The laser cutting has been great and for any parts that need to mesh like this the tolerances are almost too tight!! (good issue to have!). I did use the hatch bolts as clamps as I was gluing them in, I had clamped and taped the hatch base down tight into place with wax paper sandwiched in at the tab locations (for any glue excess) and it worked out very well.

I also glued the fuel tank tray into place with Hysol as I had it mixed up to add in a bit more to the wing tube fillet.

I have this week off work and am hoping to get a bunch done in the next few days..... but my wife also has these days off and there as some things around the house "we" need to get done so I am trying to get them all done asap to give me some more time in the shop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tail End .jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	8865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tail End 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	8866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landing Gear Mount.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	8867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatch Framework.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	8868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Tank Mount.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	8869  

Yep, I meant to do that.....

I am
    Alan H
    Last Online
    07-25-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

1 Not allowed!

So I did have last week off and got a few things done...on the plane that is as I had more on the honey do list than I was expecting...LOL

I did change my mind and ended up ordering the Pro RC Hype Pipes (which arrived in 2 days!! ) Great service!! I figured it would be way easier to do this now than to try to change these out in the future and as the DA100 is on the low range of displacement for this airframe and we fly at ~3400' ASL I wanted all the help it could get. So I ended up making new mounts for the smaller diameter pipes and again this took several attempts to get it to my liking. The ones I made are light and sturdy, I ended up laminating 1/32" plywood to both sides of 1/8" lite ply for the mounts and this seemed about right.
    In the future I think I'll just order mounts....

I got the 1/8" lite plywood tunnel hatches cut and I used 2-56 bolts & tee nuts for the mid & rear hatches so they are removable and glued in the front plates, ventilation holes were cut into all three areas similar to Gordon's before I mounted them and I need to sand/blend them in tonight and get some pictures of these.

I went up to Gordon's last week to cut my rudder out on his band saw (I gotta get one of these!) and this helped a bunch and took (some of) my apprehensions of cutting into all that nice sheeting away.... especially since he did the cutting!! I'll get some pictures tonight of the 1/2" LE and TE hinge stock glued up to the V-stab & rudder as well as the h-stabs which are now roughly shaped and ready for mounting to set the incidence.

Pictures of the pipes mounted in and hooked up to the DA100, these are a work of art and I was surprised at the weight, much lighter than I expected, less than one pound on my scale for the two pipes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro RC Hype Pipes.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	8957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe Mid Mounts.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	8958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe Rear Mounts.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	8959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe Front.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	8960  

I am
    Alan H
    Last Online
    07-25-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

I'll resize those pics of the pipes tonight..... doing this at work on a PC is different than my Mac at home!!!!

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 987
    Given: 745
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Woohoo!! Congrats Alan... those Hype pipes are sweet units!! They behave very similar to the Planebender Smoothpipes where they are not nearly as sensitive to headerlength as the MTW or KS units. And much less expensive. You'll really enjoy the exhaust note also.

I am
    Alan H
    Last Online
    07-25-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Trevor!

This will give me the option of an EME 120 (same header!!!) or the GP123 if I need more jam down the road.

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 987
    Given: 745
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Ya!! Great idea. The 100L on the pipes is a big difference over canisters so you'll likely be very happy with that combo.

I am
    Gordon Wilhelm
    Last Online
    05-21-2020
    Preferred Radio
    JR 28x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Looks great Alan!

I am
    Alan H
    Last Online
    07-25-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
    Looks great Alan!
    Thanks to you and your help Gordon!

I am
    Al Young
    Last Online
    08-02-2017
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba Team Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 23
    Feedback Score

1 Not allowed!

Alan,

You and Gordon are doing great builds threads. Thanks for posting it!!

Al

I am
    Alan H
    Last Online
    07-25-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Been joining the sheeting for the wings and T-deck so not a lot to post about or exciting pictures to be had... I am sanding the wings skins level for any glue build up or thickness inconsistencies with 80 grit and then hitting the outer sides lightly with 180 grit so that is it until after they are on the cores.I am sanding the T-deck sheeting a bit more thoroughly as I figure it'll be easier doing so laying flat to get it smoothed out to 220 grit so once done this are will need a finishing sand, once it is out of the shuck this area is mounted on the fuselage after a trim so there isn't a lot of handling compared to the wings which have lots to be done to them.

Gordon and I are coordinating the wings so we can get a system set up in his shop and sheet the wings together. He has all the required weights and etc. and then I get some hands on training and we get a chance to have a beer or two!

Once I have the wing sheeting ready I'll move on to the cores and get them prepped with the root rib and wing phenolic.

**** I have a new level of appreciation for anyone doing a build thread, mine is sparse compared to some and it would take a concentrated effort to produce an in depth build thread like Trevor, Gordon, John (Grosbeak) do to name a few, kudos to you gents!

Thread Information