0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 74
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: Why the Gov is so afraid of Hobby Drones

Hey Ron
    Looked at my reply and thought, hmm I hope you read it right and not negative.
    lol

I am
    Ron O
    Last Online
    02-09-2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 88
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by itizme View Post
    Hey Ron
    Looked at my reply and thought, hmm I hope you read it right and not negative.
    lol
    no worries at all.

This whole drone 'genie' is out of the bottle and our friends to the south will have about as much success controlling them as they do their guns. (zero) The serious RC guys will register because their flying sites are obvious and overt but as for the guy flying in the corner of the school yard....not likely. One of our morning coffee guys was excited because his wife spent $1500 for a drone for him for Christmas, and he's 73 years old and never heard of MAAC or ever flown RC in any form...lol.
    Trout Farm Flyers

Banned
    I am
    Trevor M
    Last Online
    04-12-2022
    Preferred Radio
    JR12x

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 32
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

This Ski Resort has the right idea.
    http://poleymountain.com/drone-policy

In fact it has given me the idea to contact as many ski resorts in my area as I can, armed with this video and the fact that other resorts have moved towards the Banning of Drones in the name of safety to the public and keeping their insurance cost to a minimum.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ed_1450817844

Perhaps if the idea of bans at individual resorts,parks, companies, golf clubs, harbours, beaches etc etc.. catches on.... then the Gov wont have to work as hard... leaving us SAFE RC modellers alone

Yup! Its the real fear of their insurance going up that will cause these types of places to ban all drone/FPV activities from their properties.

So guys! Get out there and notify as many as you can so we can end the problem of the FAA and TC coming down on us RC modelers

I am
    Steve W
    Last Online
    09-03-2024
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba MZ, Futaba SZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 74
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

is he now down 1500 and up one pile of broken crap?

Quote Originally Posted by reo View Post
    no worries at all.

This whole drone 'genie' is out of the bottle and our friends to the south will have about as much success controlling them as they do their guns. (zero) The serious RC guys will register because their flying sites are obvious and overt but as for the guy flying in the corner of the school yard....not likely. One of our morning coffee guys was excited because his wife spent $1500 for a drone for him for Christmas, and he's 73 years old and never heard of MAAC or ever flown RC in any form...lol.

I am
    Dave Woon
    Last Online
    07-07-2024
    Preferred Radio
    Spectrum DX18 / Futaba 10J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 6
    Feedback Score

1 Not allowed!

Thought this might say it all..
    D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	7541  
    Confucius says: Going to McDonald's for a salad is like going to a Hooker for a hug...:smug

I am
    Ed
    Last Online
    04-18-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba 18mz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 511
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

love that Dave somehow my twisted sense of humor thinks that is really funny
    only to ways I like to drink !!
    By myself or with somebody!!
    miss you son always

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

I think part of the reason is simply the way they have been marketed by the manufacturers. DJI admitted that their "Anyone can take aerial video like a pro" campaign was a mistake on two levels. Demand for the product rose dramatically and it showed that it takes little or no skill to use the device. We know that as false but when the "leading" manufacturer says it is so, then it must be true. They should tell that to the hundreds of owners of all camera quads that bring them in for repairs, try and fix it themselves, or end up throwing the wreck in the garbage when parts are not available. Another reason is the media "hype" that these quads (general term for all hobby and professional level aerial camera platforms) are no different than a General Dynamics Predator. We all know that names given to objects really set the tone for how it is viewed. What sounds worse? Drone or quad" The term "Drone" came from an aircraft that was beyond its useful air life and was converted to a remote controlled target for weapons training, aerial and ground. Soon, purpose built aircraft were developed for the same purpose that were not as expensive to operate.

Somehow, someone took the name from a target and applied it to a new device that was used to target objects on the ground for other weapons to hit or to hit those targets, themselves. FPV popularity has given rise to the perceived ability of the average sized quad to carry large amounts of deadly explosives or even target objects all by themselves and destroy them while in the hands of hobbyists. The media and many bureaucrats have played on this fear to make household names of themselves and their apparent righteous path to save us from the "drone" onslaught. I do not use the term "drone" when addressing anyone about quads and that will go a long way to help get the public and government off our backs. If they call it a drone, I reply with the quad term when appropriate. I have found that correcting the person does nothing to change their use of the term but after repeatedly hearing of the term "quad" in reference to all types of quads, the message seems to get through. I just want the attention paid to more important issues like our rising international debt. At least, this is how I see part of it.

Don

Thread Information