Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

ZDZ 180 - Oil Leak

I've been flying my EF Extra with ZDZ 180 Champion on RE3 pipes for the last 8 months. I have had some minor ups and downs with it, but when it runs good I have been VERY impressed.

My concern, I have a brown oil residue (using Red Line at 36:1) under the cowl in front of the gear. The leak appears to be from the head gaskets, but it could also be at the carb spacer. Has anyone else with ZDZ's had this issue? If it had a front carb I wouldn't think about it much as I would assume it is mainly from choking or running rich. With this rear carb I would not think I should be seeing this oily residue so far forward when I am using the RE3's with the outlet halfway back in the plane. I am using the ZDZ velocity stack and the carb is torqued adequately, have verified the cylinder head bolts are tight at 90 in lbs and it is not leaking at the exhaust headers or the pipe couplers. The velocity stack doesn't appear to have any residue inside of it.

Should I be concerned or do these tend to have some stray oil?

Thanks.

Trevor

I am
    Daniele Meloni
    Last Online
    02-27-2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: ZDZ 180 - Oil Leak

The ZDZ's with rotary valve have the tendency to spit a little more than others, the velocity stack halps a bit since the engine will suck the unbrunt fuel that is still on the stack wall....

I have a ZDZ180 on a H9 3.1 Suckhoi, and the cowl is open underneath the stack mouth, so if during startup it spits a bit more, the fuel can easily drip on the ground (sorry Greta <3) .

I never had issues with leaks or so on.

Just take out the cowl and make sure it's not from some of the kaskets between carb-spacer-engine, if sometimes doesent run well it might be for an air leak. Those ZDZ are normally super dependable.

Cheers
    Daniele

I am
    Trevor A
    Last Online
    02-02-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: ZDZ 180 - Oil Leak

Finally got around to sending in my 180 to ZDZ USA and found out it was leaking at the backplate and where the 2 halves of the case join together. They are going to reseal everything and should be good to go. My thanks to ZDZ USA for the quick review of the engine and taking care of it!!!!!!

Thread Information