Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Explain to me MAAC. Do I need it by law?

I am
    Paul Dries
    Last Online
    12-01-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba 18MZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Re: Explain to me MAAC. Do I need it by law?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPrairieRedNeck View Post
    Then why not address the problem instead of taking the easy way out and throwing out blanket policies that effect everyone.

As much as I believe in most of what MAAC stands for, I do not believe that giving them a monopoly in our hobby is a healthy thing. That would be a turn down the wrong road!
    Not suggesting at all that MAAC has a monopoly. I don't think the TC proposed guidelines have stipulated that you have to belong to MAAC "or else" just that you will fall into one of two categories - a member of a community based organization or not.

PaulD

P.S.- why is it that every time this UAV/FPV issue comes up in a forum everybody wants to FIGHT on the grounds that they're defending their rights and freedom. And I'm not referring to you specifically but it's like a drop of water on a grease fire....

I am
    Joe T
    Last Online
    11-11-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba, FrSKY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 74
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

The reality is, MAAC does not have a monopoly, if someone wanted to setup a not for profit organization to provide greater value for the modelling community "They Can!!

Just like in the racing world, in the USA we have SCCA / NASA / NASCAR etc. etc. etc.

In Canada we have CASC-OR / CARS / RSO etc. etc. etc.

There is absolutely no reason to bitch and complain about monopolies regarding to the organization known as MAAC if no one is willing to stand up and setup an alternate offering.

I strongly believe if that if Anyone Complains about how things are done, they can very well setup an organization that does what they want, then run it accordingly.

I personally did when I setup SPDA-Online.ca 14 years ago, and we are having a blast in motorsports, we affect positively the CASC-OR and ASN Canada FIA as well as CARS.

I challenge anyone to do the same if they are not happy. Talk is cheap, actions speak volumes.

Senior Member OldPrairieRedNeck's Avatar
    I am
    Mervin Burkinshaw
    Last Online
    11-28-2017
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

We presently have two options in Canada, belong to MAAC or not. If TC makes it mandatory to belong to an organization then there would be no choice and it would give MAAC a monopoly as I am not aware of any alternative. With mandatory car insurance there are many insurance companies to choose from so the comparison does not work! In a free market you have to have competition to keep the said industry healthy and fair to all. That's a fact of life!

For the "shut up or start one yourself" crowd, I do not have the funds, the energy at my age nor the expertise to start an alternative to MAAC just like I don't have the education and authority to take out my own appendix but I do know where the pain is!

I also did not make the statements on this thread to bash MAAC, I am expressing a concern about where it could go in the future if TC implements what it appears they are wanting to. I have supported MAAC in the past and chose to do so again this year. As others have said they are presently the best choice we have in the present situation. Period!

However IF they become the only association TC will recognize it will not be the best thing. Picture a government party in power with no opposition across the house! They could collect taxes/dues with no accountability to us. Does that sound healthy?
    Last edited by OldPrairieRedNeck; 06-18-2015 at 08:41 PM.
    Had one of those but it broke!

I am
    Joe T
    Last Online
    11-11-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba, FrSKY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

2 Not allowed!

So your post if I could summarize it basically says:

1) I like to complain
    2) I don't want to do anything about it
    3) It's a free country I can say what I want
    4) I have no resolution, I just feel like complaining.

Great, mission accomplished!! NEXT!

We presently have two options in Canada, belong to MAAC or not. If TC makes it mandatory to belong to an organization then there would be no choice and it would give MAAC a monopoly as I am not aware of any alternative. With mandatory car insurance there are many insurance companies to choose from so the comparison does not work! In a free market you have to have competition to keep the said industry healthy and fair to all. That's a fact of life!

For the "shut up or start one yourself" crowd, I do not have the funds, the energy at my age nor the expertise to start an alternative to MAAC just like I don't have the education and authority to take out my own appendix but I do know where the pain is!

I also did not make the statements on this thread to bash MAAC, I am expressing a concern about where it could go in the future if TC implements what it appears they are wanting to. I have supported MAAC in the past and chose to do so again this year. As others have said they are presently the best choice we have in the present situation. Period!

However IF they become the only association TC will recognize it will not be the best thing. Picture a government party in power with no opposition across the house! They could collect taxes/dues with no accountability to us. Does that sound healthy?

I am
    Mervin Burkinshaw
    Last Online
    11-28-2017
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the kind words Joe!

All very true except for point #3. I have a rant about that if you would care to listen...

I am
    Cory
    Last Online
    03-15-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 87
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

We presently have two options in Canada, belong to MAAC or not. If TC makes it mandatory to belong to an organization then there would be no choice and it would give MAAC a monopoly as I am not aware of any alternative. With mandatory car insurance there are many insurance companies to choose from so the comparison does not work! In a free market you have to have competition to keep the said industry healthy and fair to all.
    You're right in the sense that currently the only option is MAAC. However you are also right that we live in a free market, so there isn't any reason that another organization couldn't sprout up or for some existing insurance companies to start offering us coverage individually. Which reminds me how inexpensive MAAC is...one of the reasons other insurance companies may not touch this is because it isn't worth the time to do the paperwork for $90 a year. So yes, currently with mandatory auto insurance we do have choices, but MAAC won't have a monopoly because they want it, they would only continue to have a monopoly as long as prices stay low enough to keep the big insurance companies out. Don't think you'll find a car insurance policy for $90 a year anytime soon!

I am
    Cory
    Last Online
    03-15-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

All very true except for point #3. I have a rant about that if you would care to listen...
    I care to listen! But don't respond on my account if all it is going to do is get everyone's blood pressure up!

I am
    Joe T
    Last Online
    11-11-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba, FrSKY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the kind words Joe!

Feel free to rant, it's entertaining.. LOL
    BTW, no blood pressure raised. I have an opinion just like you do.

I am
    Mervin Burkinshaw
    Last Online
    11-28-2017
    Preferred Radio
    Hitec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

No, really nothing much to say. I was just trying to yank Joe's chain in a diplomatic way!

On the subject of insurance companies not wanting to insure us fliers, I don't understand their attitude. We are probably one of the lowest risk groups out there! Certainly compared to insuring cars we are. In all the years I have been flying and around fliers I have NEVER met anyone that has ever made a claim on their MAAC insurance. Sure it has happened somewhere in Canada over the years but compare that with car accidents - I bet 1/2 the people I know have had one or more claims on their auto plans!

Any insurance company that claims us to be "high risk" #1 hasn't checked the facts, #2 just doesn't want to be bothered or #3 is blowing smoke up your butt to try and get a higher premium than it warrants.

And no the $90 is not unreasonable though I would like to see lower rates for seniors and collage students. Some quibble about how much of it actually is the cost of insurance and how much is eaten up in administration etc. Well - the same argument could be had over car insurance I'm sure and it would be even more shocking!
    Last edited by OldPrairieRedNeck; 06-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.

I am
    Cory
    Last Online
    03-15-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

On the subject of insurance companies not wanting to insure us fliers, I don't understand their attitude. We are probably one of the lowest risk groups out there!
    I think it's just that $90 a year isn't worth the administrative time to them, especially with such a small niche market. You can make money by large margin or large volume and they don't have either here. Have you seen the buildings that insurance companies occupy?

Thread Information