Received: 97
    Given: 87
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Re: Aura FC8 Reference Library

Quote Originally Posted by Bhughes View Post
    60cc yak maybe.
    I have one in a 60cc Yak with overpowered servos...no powerboard, no problems.

I am
    Brodie
    Last Online
    02-26-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Graupner mz-24

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 360
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Just want to cover my bases. If I did get one

I am
    Cory
    Last Online
    03-15-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 87
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmith View Post
    I have 3 of these in planes now...here are my current files, however they are still being refined.

All 3 are run with a Spektrum DX9, all basic setups, nothing serial yet and no power boards, match boxes, etc. If you are running Spetkrum you really need to use it with satellites only or a serial receiver to get full benefit IMHO.

For the first two with Master Gain, I put it on a knob but really use it as an on/off for the stabilizer so a two position switch would work as well. I put it on a knob just to save me bringing a laptop to the field if I find I'm getting some oscillation.

1. 48" Extreme Flight Edge
    -two DSMx satellites, everything plugged into Aura
    -3 Flight Modes - Precision (lower rates, medium gains), 3D Slow (highest rates, high gains), 3D Fast (highest rates, low gains)
    -Master Gain on Aux 3 programmed to a knob, range is from stabilizer off to 100% of the programmed gain for the selected flight mode

2. 79" Aeroworks Extra 260 Freestyle
    -two DSMx satellites, everything plugged into Aura *One power input from Booma RC bat share switch, each aileron/elevator has it's own port. Currently brushless but there is a free port for an ignition kill if you use this setup with a gas engine
    -3 Flight Modes - Precision (lower rates, medium gains), 3D Slow (highest rates, high gains), 3D Fast (highest rates, low gains)
    -Master Gain on Aux 3 programmed to a knob, range is from stabilizer off to 100% of the programmed gain for the selected flight mode

3. 91" 3DHS Yak 55M
    -Powersafe RX with PWM connections *No free channel for Master Gain, ailerons on a Y-cable
    -3 Flight Modes - Gyro Off Low Rates, 3D Slow (highest rates, high gains), 3D Fast (highest rates, low gains)
    -Ports 1 through 3 are used for aileron/elevator/rudder input, port 4 is for flight modes, 5 through 8 for aileron/elevator/rudder outputs (1 for each elevator)
    -this is my least favorite setup and I may soon change over to using two DSMx satellites with a Booma RC bat share switch...would prefer to ditch the y-cable for the ailerons and be able to run Master Gain

I haven't flown the Extra yet, and I've had to reduce gains on the Yak from the first few flights for occasional oscillation. These files aren't perfect just yet but should be a good starting point for anyone with similar planes/setups.

Comments/criticisms welcome!
    Finally flew the 79" Extra today, so all three of these setups are flight tested! What a great little device, I like have the flight modes attached to gyro gains, it makes a lot of sense and I find myself switching between them more than I expected to.

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    07-22-2024
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 987
    Given: 745
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Hi Trevor,

Attached below is a file for Futaba MZ18 with SBUS input.
    Note: Aura only need input for 3 functions (Aileron, Elev, Rudder) and splits this signal within the Aura to control all the servos accordingly.
    Assign Channel 8 to a rotary switch for the master gain
    Assign Channel 10 to a 3 position switch for the Gyro Modes, Top is off, Middle is low, Bottom is High
    If you want Expo or dual rates, I suggest doing those on the TX using the standard TX menu for those functions, it's an approved config.

Mixes can be done on the Aura through the Mix Tab on the Aura, so for your Viper, you can get the airbrake going here and assign the switch to a channel to put flaps down and ailerons up, for example.

When you use this file, you'll need to calibrate the TX to the Gyro, use the included USB cable and a computer to do so and
    1) Go to the main setup screen on the Aura 8 config tool
    2) Turn on "Live Monitoring"
    3) Go to the channel config screen on the MZ18 and look at the monitor.
    4) Adjust the center PWM off of 1500 to get "ZERO" on the Aura Config tool.
    5) Repeat for every channel used.

Then click learn transmitter and follow instructions to show teach the Aura8 the travel.

Assemble plane and click on the Servo ports Tab and use the sub trim in that menu per channel to set your center on the plane (Note: the subtrims and end points only takes effect once "Write to Aura" is clicked".

When in the Servo Ports Tab you can setup:
    Sub Trim and Travel for
    Left Ail 1
    left ail 2

Right Ail 1
    Right Ail 2

Left Elev
    Righ Elev

This file has:
    SBUS Input from the Receiver
    2 independent ailerons per wing, this is done to equalize the throw for each servo (Servo Matching)
    2 Elevator Servos
    1 Rudder Servo

Throttle should be plugged into your Receiver (this is the way this is setup)
    IBEC or Kill switch should go through the Receiver too. (I normally plug Channel 5 from the reciever into the Power Box input on the same channel so the IBEC gets power from redundant batteries).

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask any question.

Just replaced the file with the correct version.
    Aura Mapping is as follows:
    S1 = Left Ail 1
    S2 = Left Ail 2
    S3 = Right Ail 1
    S4 = Right Ail 2
    S5 = Left Elev
    S6 = R Elev
    S7 - Blank

Throttle = Direct to Receiver
    Kill Switch = If using IBEC then route this through the free port on your power board, with a connection to your receiver, if not using an ibec, this can be plugged directly to the receiver.
    Choke = Direct to the Receiver
    Gyro On off Switch - Any unassigned channel on your receiver mapped to channel 9
    Master Gain = Mapped to any rotary knob assigned to channel 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil202 View Post
    Ok,

Got it figured out with the Jeti..
    Everything working perfectly, using JR Mode B (UDI)..

My only mistake was to update my RX9 with "Download Firmware UDI 16 R3/RSW-18US 3.24 (June, 2015)" instead of "Download Firmware Standard R3/RSW-18US 3.24 (June, 2015)"
    Apparently the UDI 16 update is 16 bit and doesn't talk with the Aura 8 in any mode including PPM..

So, update your RX with the standard firmware and once bounded to your TX, go in device manager and switch the "Serial Link" to UDI. Et voila!

The attached file is Joe's file modified to work with Jeti.

Cheers
    So guys.... I have my computer setup with the FlexInnovations software and this AM I was able to communicate to the Aura via the USB link. I haven't connected an Rx to the Aura yet.

I'll be using my Jeti with a 9ch Rx that has the latest 3.24 software set to UDI communication per Phil's advice. I also have Ed's Futaba 18MZ and am very familiar with the SBUS output which I would like to try
    So now what do I do?
    How do I get one of these .acf files into the Aura as a platform to play with?
    How do I connect up the Rx and config in the Aura?

Any help in next steps would be appreciated. All this setup and programming is overwhelming, LOL.
    Last edited by tbrum; 04-19-2016 at 09:58 AM.

I am
    Phil Dessureault
    Last Online
    10-18-2022
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti DS-16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrum View Post
    So guys.... I have my computer setup with the FlexInnovations software and this AM I was able to communicate to the Aura via the USB link. I haven't connected an Rx to the Aura yet.

I'll be using my Jeti with a 9ch Rx that has the latest 3.24 software set to UDI communication per Phil's advice.
    So now what do I do?

Any help in next steps would be appreciated. All this setup and programming is overwhelming, LOL.
    Hi Trevor,

Connect your RX9 with a single male / male extension from Port B of te Aura 8 to Port EXT or SAT of your RX9 (i can confirm which port tonight)...
    Then set your RX9 as per my previous post... Connect your Aura 8 to your computer, once you have open any of the .acf files you should have the option to upload / update your Aura 8...
    Bottom right corner of the software page, if i remember correctly.

Your Aura 8 (transmitter / rx setup) should be:
    Transmitter type : Other/Custom
    Rx Connection : JR Mode B ON : Port B

Hope this help a little... I had to f^$% around quite at first...

Cheers

I am
    Joe T
    Last Online
    11-11-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba, FrSKY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 74
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

I'll be using my Jeti with a 9ch Rx that has the latest 3.24 software set to UDI communication per Phil's advice. I also have Ed's Futaba 18MZ and am very familiar with the SBUS output which I would like to try
    So now what do I do?

Next is:

Click Connect with Aura
    Then download the file I made for you
    Then click Write to Aura

Make sure your servos are plugged into the correct Aura Ports

S1 = Left Ail 1
    S2 = Left Ail 2
    S3 = Right Ail 1
    S4 = Right Ail 2
    S5 = Left Elev
    S6 = R Elev
    S7 - Blank

Then next step is to go to the main "Setup Screen" and change the TX Type to "Other / Custom"
    Select the Receiver Connection to "JR on Port B"
    Select on "Port B"

Then go scroll down and turn live monitoring to on.
    Then click on "Learn Transmitter"

Post back issues and I'll try to answer promptly.

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    07-22-2024
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Awesome guys!! Will work on this tonight.

Since I'm so familiar with the iGyro and Cortex, I've decided to get Ed's Vertigo running on the spare iGyro that was in his goodie box for this weekend's maiden flight. I've got a few planes that I will use as test beds for the Aura to learn on and get familiar with.

From what I've seen so far, the Aura is way more flexible than the iGyro and Cortex.. especially the capabilities it has when you are running 2 servos/wing. Just a steep learning curve for me (I'm really slow at programming and electronics) so natural instinct is to default back to the plug-n-play iGyro or Cortex

I am
    Joe T
    Last Online
    11-11-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba, FrSKY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 74
    Feedback Score

1 Not allowed!

Awesome guys!! Will work on this tonight.

Since I'm so familiar with the iGyro and Cortex, I've decided to get Ed's Vertigo running on the spare iGyro that was in his goodie box for this weekend's maiden flight. I've got a few planes that I will use as test beds for the Aura to learn on and get familiar with.

From what I've seen so far, the Aura is way more flexible than the iGyro and Cortex.. especially the capabilities it has when you are running 2 servos/wing. Just a steep learning curve for me (I'm really slow at programming and electronics) so natural instinct is to default back to the plug-n-play iGyro or Cortex
    I know how you feel, when I first got my Aura8 it sat in the box for about 3 weeks before I actually installed it in the plane. Once I got the motivation and initial fear of something different, it got really easy to use. It is extremely flexible, I flew my revamped Yak 54 last weekend and learned a few more tricks. Gyro's are such that, yes it does feel so much more locked in, but you question why you have them when you're flying them and miss the feel of the gyro when it's off.

It's really neat how "crisp" maneuvers become and how rock solid the airframes feel.

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    07-22-2024
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Amen Joe!! After feeling a gyro, all my planes got them and each plane has been more enjoyable as a result. Have yet to see anyone try a Gyro and say they don't like it. I once though gyros were cheating and the plane would fly itself - boy how wrong I was.

Yep - just need to get over this learning curve and all with be well with the Aura.

It's threads like these that make this hobby so awesome. Incredible info and a head start.

Thanks guys

Thread Information