Thumbs Up
    Received: 987
    Given: 745
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

EME35 vs DA35

He he

Let's have some fun with this thread

Lots of talk about which one is better and I've never really dabbled much in this size. So I decided to get one of each and see what all the fuse is about, LOL.

EME35 arrived today! Thanks to Lorne at Pro-R/C!

DA35 is en route and should arrive at my US postal box on Tuesday next week.

Game plan is to test both on mufflers and then do some headerlength / pipe testing on each with a 35cc Planebender Smoothpipe!!

My favorite engine will go in either a 76" Aeroplus Edge (red/white/blue) or the 83" Extreme Flight MXS. (yellow/blue)
    Last edited by tbrum; 02-20-2015 at 10:08 PM.

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: EME35 vs DA35

The EME35 arrived today!!

The corrugated header (first pic) came from Pro-RC.

I also plan to fab up an MTW header from MTW parts and compare the performance of both headers. Header parts came from Thunderboltrc. I got enough headerparts and flanges to do one for each of the EME and DA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_eme.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	1376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_headerparts.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	1377  

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

A couple pictures of the smoothpipe. A very solid unit. Definitely will be a weight penalty. 1/2lb is pretty substantial for a 35cc bird.

Name:	3_smoothpipe.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_smoothpipe.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	1379  

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

So far, I've got a Falcon 20x7 and 20x8. I know the EME on muffler likes the 20x7. Not sure the gains on the pipe and whether a 20x8 will be enough??

Name:	5_props.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6_props.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1381  

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

A nice looking motor

And some weights

Name:	7_eme.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	1382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8_eme weihgt.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9_muffler.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1384  

jeweler

0 Not allowed!

Get yourself a good pair of sun glasses for Tuesday!...

I am
    Dale Hunter
    Last Online
    08-28-2016
    Preferred Radio
    12X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 27
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jeweler View Post
    Get yourself a good pair of sun glasses for Tuesday!...
    Everybody Dance.

You can argue with me, but you can not argue with fact.
    Ha-ha.

-Snuts-

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    08-10-2023
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

LOL

I'm hoping this thread will get a few good chuckles!! I've never put 2 brands side by side in the same thread

I am
    Cory
    Last Online
    03-15-2023
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 87
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

I've got the EME 35 in a 76" Redwing Slick 540. I've only got about 4 liters through it and I'm a newb at gassers. I have run it on both the stock muffler and a Pro-RC canister. I've also run it on a 20x6 Falcon Beechwood prop and a 20x7 Falcon Carbon prop. I put a Bowman ring in right off the hop which made a huge difference in ring gap. With every combination of prop and exhaust it will spin in the low 7000s without much tuning, top end power is no issue at all.

So far I'm really liking it. It starts very well. I had problems with a slow and inconsistent return to idle with the canister that I was able to get rid of on the stock muffler. But, with the stock muffler the mid range burble is much worse and happens right in the range needed for high alpha flying and hovering. I haven't been able to tune it out at all, mind you it is a fresh engine still.

Because I'm so new to flying and particularly 3D flying I've found the burble a bit frustrating, although I don't think it would be much of a problem for an experienced pilot or non-3D flying. My DX7 didn't have throttle curve so I recently picked up a DX9, I think throttle curve is going to help quite a bit.

I've been contemplating buying the Walbro carb that EME is putting on it now and Lorne's wrap around Pitts muffler. My current dilemma is that the DA-35 reviews are saying there is no mid range burble and with the cost of a carb and another exhaust in combination with the used value of my engine it wouldn't cost a ton to get a DA. I don't have any issue with the starting/running/top end of the EME but I feel that if I could get rid of my midrange issue it would improve my flying/confidence significantly.

That said, I'm looking forward to flying it with my new radio and trying some more tuning before I commit to anything. I'll be following this thread closely!

jeweler

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmith View Post
    I've got the EME 35 in a 76" Redwing Slick 540. I've only got about 4 liters through it and I'm a newb at gassers. I have run it on both the stock muffler and a Pro-RC canister. I've also run it on a 20x6 Falcon Beechwood prop and a 20x7 Falcon Carbon prop. I put a Bowman ring in right off the hop which made a huge difference in ring gap. With every combination of prop and exhaust it will spin in the low 7000s without much tuning, top end power is no issue at all.

So far I'm really liking it. It starts very well. I had problems with a slow and inconsistent return to idle with the canister that I was able to get rid of on the stock muffler. But, with the stock muffler the mid range burble is much worse and happens right in the range needed for high alpha flying and hovering. I haven't been able to tune it out at all, mind you it is a fresh engine still.

Because I'm so new to flying and particularly 3D flying I've found the burble a bit frustrating, although I don't think it would be much of a problem for an experienced pilot or non-3D flying. My DX7 didn't have throttle curve so I recently picked up a DX9, I think throttle curve is going to help quite a bit.

I've been contemplating buying the Walbro carb that EME is putting on it now and Lorne's wrap around Pitts muffler. My current dilemma is that the DA-35 reviews are saying there is no mid range burble and with the cost of a carb and another exhaust in combination with the used value of my engine it wouldn't cost a ton to get a DA. I don't have any issue with the starting/running/top end of the EME but I feel that if I could get rid of my midrange issue it would improve my flying/confidence significantly.

That said, I'm looking forward to flying it with my new radio and trying some more tuning before I commit to anything. I'll be following this thread closely!
    Nice honest review, very similar to mine. Needs a Walbro but mine still couldn't be fine tuned as good as some engines but had a reliable idle and followed the throttle inputs much better.. I used a Falcon 20/7 and it was in the 7000's somewhere

Commit!!...Out-of-the Box, the new DA starts and runs like a broke in engine!! Will inspire a whole new confidence!

Thread Information