Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

1 Not allowed!

Servos for 40% IMAC Plane

Working on completing a 40% EF Extra but wanted to get feedback for the servos. In the past on this size of plane I have used Hitec 7955's for ailerons and elevators; 7950's for rudder (or 7950's all the way around). I like the Hitec's and I do have some of the newer D series (D955 and D950), but not sure if I want to stay with Hitec or look at other options. I am also considering the following:

ProModeler (470 or 630)
    Savox (1270, 2270, 2290)
    MKS (777A+, HBL550)
    Bluebird (but probably not)
    Others?

I would prefer the ProModeler DS630's, but do have one local flier than had 3 of 6 PM's go bad (they were a lower tier of ProModeler servo however). I fly Sportsman IMAC type stuff, nothing 3D or extreme at all.

Comments?

Thanks.
    Trevor

I am
    Dean
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 153
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Re: Servos for 40% IMAC Plane

Hey Trevor,

So I haven't done a 40% but I fly my 35%er's pretty hard. I would avoid the MKS 777A+, soft gear train IMO and I have used alot of 380's and 599's, I find in general that the MKS servo's are really power hungry. That said the 380 and 599 center well and are very smooth. Kinda pricey but silky smooth

I also wanted to try the PM's but have heard of the same issues you have, I think in a year or 2 they will have their issues sorted and should good but I'm not gonna be a test pilot...

My choice on your list is the 2290, so far they are my favourite and go to servo. I am amazed at how little poweer they use for what they put out. I am just about to try the 2270 in my Mamba 70 but it will be awhile before I actual fly with them. 1270's are okay for bang around planes IMO Stick with brushless.

Thats my .02 and I'm sure others will help you as well. Start an assembly thread here, I am building a 40% next winter hopefully and that plane is on my short short list.

Regards,
    Dean

I am
    Trevor A
    Last Online
    06-26-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the info Dean. The PM 630's and the Savox 2290's are the same price.... What a dilemma.

May have to go Savox as spending over $1,100 on eight, somewhat untested servos is a little scary.

I am
    Dean
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

That would be my call as well Trevor, 2290's rock. As far as the PM's go I think maybe testing out the brand on a 60" electric and then working up is kinda what I was planning.
    Good luck! Start that 40% thread and post some pics!!

I am
    Dean
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by marwen View Post
    Thanks for your info.
    Why did you avoid MKS 777A+ can you please tell?
    I tried them a couple times and others may have different experiences and maybe it's not fair to compare them to servos that are 2x the cost but that about sums it up. You are getting what you pay for. Once you have tried a 599/380 or savox 2290 brushless you will have a hard time going back to a coreless servo. I found the centering poor and the gears softer on the 777A but I am not the world's leading servo expert. Maybe for sport flying and softer 3D they are a decent budget servo on a 35-40%
    For 25-30-35% planes the savox 1270 is still hard to beat for the lower end but on a 35% being flown hard I would spend more on the servos.
    I am installing the 1270's on the new EF 85" edge right now and I am also trying the 2270 brushless on a Mamba but I don't have any feed back just yet on those

Thread Information