Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Badan Vertigo 2.2 information

Hello all. I've been considering ordering the Badan Vertigo 2.2 kit but I'd like to know more "real world" user opinions before I take the plunge. I know of no one in my area that has any first hand experience with the kit. I'd like input on everything from dealing with any importing difficulties to flight characteristics. Specifically, how does it compare to similar sized models like EF, PAU or AJ 91" Extra, Lazer or Edge and similar ARFs. I realize the Vertigo is far lighter but would like to know if it's really worth the build time. Thanks, Ted.

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 734
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: Badan Vertigo 2.2 information

Ted. I had great luck with the Vertigo. Crashed the first one (battery unplugged - my fault) and built a second because I loved it soo much. Flew crazy light... suited my style of flying! Was my everyday flier for a long time.

I find the build as exciting as the flying. Lots of guys don’t see it that way. Depends what makes you tick in this hobby.

I’ve since sold it to move on to other build projects. I think Brad is enjoying it but he can give his 2-cents

Keep in mind that when you invest this amount of time and cost in a build, you tend to fly them differently so you don’t crash. Takes a few crashes to get over this LOL. ARF’s are 0-emotional attachment... huge factor to consider.
    Last edited by tbrum; 11-22-2018 at 08:02 PM.

I am
    Ted Schoonard
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Sorta hoped you might reply. I've seen your vids and looks as though you've had considerable experience with Vertigo's. How do you compare it to an Edge or Extra. I have a Sebart Monster so I've got plenty of "floaty 3D" flying but was wanting to see that the Vertigo penetrates well and will perform higher speed maneuvers as well as an Extra or Edge. My concern is that it appears to be very short coupled and this might tend to make it track worse at faster speeds through larger maneuvers.

I am
    Brad Gelok
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti DS-16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 25
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Hey Ted, i now have Trevors vertigo and can say this is an awesome flying plane. My style is a bit different than Trevs’. I am more of a high energy/G force tumble kinda flyer. Now take into consideration i only have about a dozen flights on this but, it is great for low and slow and for high energy tumbles. Pop tops are great, blenders are tight, k/e spins...lazy and falls out, i have yet to try a crankshaft with it as i am not sure how it will hold up. Backflips are crazy tight, wateralls are nice and predictable, loops can be long and lazy with great tracking.

Hope this helps a bit
    Gimmie the sticks, Iíll fly it !

I am
    Ted Schoonard
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Absolutely helps! That's what I needed to hear. Now, where do I find a deal on a built one, LOL. Thanks, Ted.

I am
    Ed
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba 18mz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 507
    Given: 498
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

I have one
    only to ways I like to drink !!
    By myself or with somebody!!
    miss you son always

I am
    Dave Woon
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    Spectrum DX18 / Futaba 10J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 6
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

A Badan Vertigo would be a fun build. Some straight forward building and some different techniques as well to keep it interesting.

D.
    Last edited by NDW; 11-24-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Confucius says: Going to McDonald's for a salad is like going to a Hooker for a hug...:smug

I am
    Ted Schoonard
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, NDW, that's what pulls me toward it. Just needed some input to be sure it's got the flight characteristics I want before putting in the time/expense. The building part is good therapy for me but as Tbrum pointed out.....unfortunately we don't fly them the same we would a quickie ARF. I know, because I flew F3c helis in competition for twenty years [a long time ago, LOL] and it takes a good bit of time before you can "fly it like you stole it". In fact, I'll add that my initial solution to trick myself out of that mindset was to build three exact duplicate competition models [two for actual events and the third was the IDGAF model]. The ironic thing was that mentally it worked very well to break my bad inclinations but in the end, that third IDGAF model just kept flying and flying despite me. I'd sell all the models after two seasons and start all over.....worked out fine, LOL. Hopefully I'm over all that by now and can just build one!

I am
    Dennis P
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    V Control / SD10GS / JR XG 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

I am assuming this is the same Ted Schoonard from Miniature Aircraft X-Cell helicopters. I am also a heli guy from long ago that still fly's them along with fixed wing who also keeps looking at the Badan kits. I am thinking of building the Yak 55M.
    Take care

I am
    Ted Schoonard
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, still kicking around, stayed away from all RC for 18 years and then suddenly got bit hard by fixed wing.....nevr wooduv thunk it, LOL. I think I'll have to take the Badan plunge here pretty soon. I'm just intrigued by his build techniques and the holy grail of modeling....light weight. He seems unique in the biz because I can't find anyone else that is making similar high performance short kits. If there is someone, I'd like to hear about his offerings as well. I'm even interested in the F3P indoor stuff but those guys are on another planet with their building skills and equipment...crazy stuff they'll do to save a couple of grams! Guys like Pauzoulis and Bruckner are simply amazing.

Thread Information