Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 974
    Given: 745
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: Good Hinges / Bad Hinges?

I like the ones on the bottom of the pictures.

Both are tight, no slop. Neither is brittle. But the ones on the bottom have an extra groove in them that gives another spot for the glue to lock around. And with that groove, less glue will get squeegy'd off as you push the hinge in.

Better design IMO is the bottom ones. I bet they are the expensive, aftermarket, high hype Robart ones.
    Last edited by tbrum; 11-16-2017 at 11:23 AM.

I am
    terry h
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    spectrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin High View Post
    Pilot hinges are junk
    It's gotta be them damn hinges!

I am
    Gary D
    Last Online
    05-17-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NDW View Post
    Oh, here we go again..... would that be a synthetic thread or natural like a cat gut....... any difference in stretch , what about thread count? Egyptian over locally sourced?

D.
    Cat gut, but which variety - Persian or Siamese or Alley? Bobcat gut might work, too, but you could end up getting processed through it if you aren"t a good shot

I am
    Cory
    Last Online
    05-21-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Spektrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 87
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrum View Post
    I like the ones on the bottom of the pictures.

Both are tight, no slop. Neither is brittle. But the ones on the bottom have an extra groove in them that gives another spot for the glue to lock around. And with that groove, less glue will get squeegy'd off as you push the hinge in.

Better design IMO is the bottom ones. I bet they are the expensive, aftermarket, high hype Robart ones.
    I agree the groove is nice...but all hype aside every ARF pin hinge I've had has developed slop way too soon. The Robart ones are dirt cheap and save me from drilling out hinges after 6 months of flying. If it makes you feel better you could always groove the pins with a dremel tool in short order!

Here's an idea, you should build a plane that's going to see lots of use and put the bottom ones on one side and the Robarts on the other and see which is tighter after a season of flying???

I am
    Rick
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    Horus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 66
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

I still prefer the flat hinges. More contact on the hinges since they are wider and for some reason I can make the hinge line much tighter rather than using the pin hinges. Just me I guess.

I am
    cats out of the bag
    Last Online
    03-26-2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

I soooo agree with Rick on this one....

I just finished putting a rudder on an ARF, there was an 'issue' with the rudder set up, and the original owner got new stuff. When I bought it, I had a spare!
    I wore the old one out, and I just now, fixed the spare....

The rudder had 2 factory installed hinges already. The third was the issue. The fuse had 3 receiving slots ready.

Take a look at those lovely stock hinges in the first pic! Those puppies have barbs, like fishing hooks, on ALL 4 FACES. What a great connection!
    Now, you take your epoxy, or your Hysol, or whatever..., and you fill those slots, and you lather the face of those hinges, and you assemble the part.....
    If ya let it dry/cure long enough, which I have no doubt that most do...., that is gonna be one great lock.

So much so, that the best way (in my view) to remove the 3rd (faulty) hinge, was to extricate it with a 3/8" wide precision-guess cut. (see pic)
    At this point I took a piece of 3/8 stock and hit it with 40 grit to get it to fit...glued it, shaved it, and slotted it.

I didn't have any ARF supplied hinges, so I had to upgrade. Now, the supplied hinges are a great design, but they are slightly flexible...I love Klitts because they are more rigid and smooth.

As you can see in the 3rd pic, I didn't even cover the repair...a great conversation piece!

Okay, Now for the techies....

For the record, I am not an Enganear or anyting, so looking for input...
    For the ARF in question, from the factory, the rudder leading edge is cut from 3/8" stock. If you look in the pictures, there is lots of excess glue in the holes, but not doing any good at all...

Each of my flat hinges are 1" wide - for a 2"+ glue contact area..... what is the actual contact area of cylindrical type hinges, given a 3/8" leading edge (or 3/8" deep slot), as a stock ARF would arrive in box...
    If you drilled out the stock hinges and put Robarts or whatever, how much adhesion are you loosing?

How many people fly enough for any of this to even matter...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8767.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	647.3 KB 
ID:	17019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8770.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	809.1 KB 
ID:	17020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8792.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	579.3 KB 
ID:	17021  

I am
    Ed
    Last Online
    04-18-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba 18mz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 511
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dopey View Post
    I soooo agree with Rick on this one....

I just finished putting a rudder on an ARF, there was an 'issue' with the rudder set up, and the original owner got new stuff. When I bought it, I had a spare!
    I wore the old one out, and I just now, fixed the spare....

The rudder had 2 factory installed hinges already. The third was the issue. The fuse had 3 receiving slots ready.

Take a look at those lovely stock hinges in the first pic! Those puppies have barbs, like fishing hooks, on ALL 4 FACES. What a great connection!
    Now, you take your epoxy, or your Hysol, or whatever..., and you fill those slots, and you lather the face of those hinges, and you assemble the part.....
    If ya let it dry/cure long enough, which I have no doubt that most do...., that is gonna be one great lock.

So much so, that the best way (in my view) to remove the 3rd (faulty) hinge, was to extricate it with a 3/8" wide precision-guess cut. (see pic)
    At this point I took a piece of 3/8 stock and hit it with 40 grit to get it to fit...glued it, shaved it, and slotted it.

I didn't have any ARF supplied hinges, so I had to upgrade. Now, the supplied hinges are a great design, but they are slightly flexible...I love Klitts because they are more rigid and smooth.

As you can see in the 3rd pic, I didn't even cover the repair...a great conversation piece!

Okay, Now for the techies....

For the record, I am not an Enganear or anyting, so looking for input...
    For the ARF in question, from the factory, the rudder leading edge is cut from 3/8" stock. If you look in the pictures, there is lots of excess glue in the holes, but not doing any good at all...

Each of my flat hinges are 1" wide - for a 2"+ glue contact area..... what is the actual contact area of cylindrical type hinges, given a 3/8" leading edge (or 3/8" deep slot), as a stock ARF would arrive in box...
    If you drilled out the stock hinges and put Robarts or whatever, how much adhesion are you loosing?

How many people fly enough for any of this to even matter...?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzxxxxxxx\zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    only to ways I like to drink !!
    By myself or with somebody!!
    miss you son always

I am
    cats out of the bag
    Last Online
    03-26-2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

hmmmm...I see.......

So hypothetically, if I was to smack you upside the head with a frying pan (flat hinge) or a Monster dildo (Pin hinge), which would be more effective..?

LMAO!

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    Today
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 974
    Given: 745
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

LOL. Ed... having trouble getting your point from that novel you wrote !!!

I am
    Ed
    Last Online
    04-18-2020
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba 18mz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 511
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrum View Post
    LOL. Ed... having trouble getting your point from that novel you wrote !!!
    trying to keep up with letter count

Thread Information