Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: The Great Canadian Huckfest 2017

A couple of us down here in Kingston have wondered what it would take to entice some of you folks to come out to our field and show your stuff. Dan and I have talked about this for awhile now.

As we already have 4 major Fun Fly events during the June through September time frame, and since we fly all year around (at least some of us do!), there could be opportunities for you folks when you might otherwise be without a flying field. With the aforementioned events, for which we provide a canteen (and a dinner for 2 of them), the usual small group of our volunteers get pretty well tapped out, so my thinking is that this would have to be a really informal, BYO-whatever sort of thing. (We have BBQ's and picnic tables, porta-potty, etc.)

Some of you know our field, our facilities and many of our Members quite well. (Dan mostly grew up out here, Trevor shows up at the Giant Scale event each year, Colin usually joins his Dad at the Fathers Day Fun Fly, and there may be others from "away", as well.)

The kind of flying that gets done at the HuckFest is very different from what the vast majority of our 100 or so Members have seen, let alone get involved in. Having something happen here could change that for the better.

One of our fellows, Brad, has become rather keen and has fallen in with your sorry little lot, I see, and he might be a good coordinator to help get something going.

I have bounced the idea off of a few of our more active Members, but have not made any proposal to the Club itself. My initial proposal would be that our Club need not lift a finger for this to happen, just allow use of the field and encourage one and all to come. As at Orillia and elsewhere, the Hucksters would put on their own event, and others could still fly, as well. We have lots of camping facilities, as well as good nearby motels and eateries.

Of course, we would love to see any of you at any time, you do not need a special invitation or event to get you out here!

Aside: Thirty years ago, we hosted our first IMAA (Giant Scale) meet. Yes, it involved a lot of work, as we supplied a dinner, etc.. Then, some (25?) years ago, our first Electric Meet took place. For the first number of years, this was organized and operated pretty much by Martin Irvine, with he and his wife cooking hot dogs - the only significant Club involvement was to grant exclusive use of the field for that one day. As time passed, this became more popular, the Club provided a canteen and took ownership for the event. Martin still is the organizer, the rest of us are his support team. Could a Hucking event follow this pattern?
    Last edited by Deerslayer; 08-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.

I am
    Steve W
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba MZ, Futaba SZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 49
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrum View Post
    LOL. Call a friend or use a hammer! Was a funny story
    Epic fail and never got a prize
    Lmao

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 650
    Feedback Score

2 Not allowed!

Posting this video that John Craven made... it's from a go-pro he had mounted on the Hotel!!!

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

2 Not allowed!

And his go-pro mounted on the SFG of his 3DHS Yak55!!

Awesomeness!!!!

I am
    Trevor B
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Preferred Radio
    2.4ghz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
    A couple of us down here in Kingston have wondered what it would take to entice some of you folks to come out to our field and show your stuff. Dan and I have talked about this for awhile now.

As we already have 4 major Fun Fly events during the June through September time frame, and since we fly all year around (at least some of us do!), there could be opportunities for you folks when you might otherwise be without a flying field. With the aforementioned events, for which we provide a canteen (and a dinner for 2 of them), the usual small group of our volunteers get pretty well tapped out, so my thinking is that this would have to be a really informal, BYO-whatever sort of thing. (We have BBQ's and picnic tables, porta-potty, etc.)

Some of you know our field, our facilities and many of our Members quite well. (Dan mostly grew up out here, Trevor shows up at the Giant Scale event each year, Colin usually joins his Dad at the Fathers Day Fun Fly, and there may be others from "away", as well.)

The kind of flying that gets done at the HuckFest is very different from what the vast majority of our 100 or so Members have seen, let alone get involved in. Having something happen here could change that for the better.

One of our fellows, Brad, has become rather keen and has fallen in with your sorry little lot, I see, and he might be a good coordinator to help get something going.

I have bounced the idea off of a few of our more active Members, but have not made any proposal to the Club itself. My initial proposal would be that our Club need not lift a finger for this to happen, just allow use of the field and encourage one and all to come. As at Orillia and elsewhere, the Hucksters would put on their own event, and others could still fly, as well. We have lots of camping facilities, as well as good nearby motels and eateries.

Of course, we would love to see any of you at any time, you do not need a special invitation or event to get you out here!

Aside: Thirty years ago, we hosted our first IMAA (Giant Scale) meet. Yes, it involved a lot of work, as we supplied a dinner, etc.. Then, some (25?) years ago, our first Electric Meet took place. For the first number of years, this was organized and operated pretty much by Martin Irvine, with he and his wife cooking hot dogs - the only significant Club involvement was to grant exclusive use of the field for that one day. As time passed, this became more popular, the Club provided a canteen and took ownership for the event. Martin still is the organizer, the rest of us are his support team. Could a Hucking event follow this pattern?
    Sounds like a cool idea Gary. Unfortunately for me, from the end of July until mid Sept I have events nearly every weekend so adding another could cause discussions of divorce, LOL. But that is just me.

I'm sure there are a bunch though that would be game!!

I am
    Craig Rideout
    Last Online
    10-15-2017
    Preferred Radio
    11x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

John!.... I just ordered a 93" AJ laser because of you!!! What pipe are you running? MTW110 or large PB smooth pipe?

I am
    John Emslie
    Last Online
    10-19-2017
    Preferred Radio
    Spectrum/Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Lol, that's a great decision Graig! Andy has his with the kit Tim sells, 2 into 1 mtw can. I have the can if u want it but removed it for the PB large smooth pipe and extended the pipe tunnel on the plane. You're going to have some fun!

I am
    Craig Rideout
    Last Online
    10-15-2017
    Preferred Radio
    11x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Ok, so you're using the large (full length) smooth pipe but had to extend the tunnel for it to fit? What's your header length on the 2in1?

Why did you pull the MTW for the PB pipe? More power? Smoother transition?

I am
    John Emslie
    Last Online
    10-19-2017
    Preferred Radio
    Spectrum/Jeti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

I'll take a pic on weekend but according to Trevor the smooth pipe is not effected much on header length. It's cut really close to Y maybe 7.5-8". More power, very smooth, higher rpm.

I am
    Craig Rideout
    Last Online
    10-15-2017
    Preferred Radio
    11x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Ok, sounds good... pics would be awesome. I've looked and can't find any pics online where someone used the 70 with PB large pipe. Sure was AWESOME power. I can't wait!!!

Thread Information