Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heli-Baby NT build w/floats

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

Heli-Baby NT build w/floats

Hello all:

Ever since the late 70's/early 80's, I have been waiting for the day that I could fly a model helicopter. I started back into this hobby almost 7 years ago and the only aspect of the hobby I was interested in was helicopters. I couldn't get the hang of it then and the lack of gyros, collective pitch, and help from anyone close, made it even harder so the two successful flights (one full tank hover and one forward flight) were quite an accomplishment. In those days, I had no idea that London, Ont. was the main hub of helicopter flying in Canada, or I would have been able to get the parts I needed to keep on going. Just a couple of days ago, I found out from another forum member, that the Schluter distributor was in London, sigh. As it was an important hub of helicopter activity, it played a large part in why London was chosen as the first location for the World Championship Helicopter meet. I dearly hated to let my original Heli-Baby go but I guess it was the path that I was chosen to follow.

Spring forward 37 years and I now find myself owning a prototype Heli-Baby NT and one of the first production kits from the new manufacturer, Minicopter.de. When I picked it up in Niagara Falls, I was somewhat underwhelmed as the box was nothing more than plain cardboard. No labels, pictures, or even part number, just a boring box. Inside were the canopy halves, boom, pushrod, frame sides, cockpit floors, landing gear, blades, lots of peanuts, and a small but very heavy box which was taped in place at the bottom. I wanted to head home fast so I didn't bother to dig out the small box and found out later that it was the same box the mechanics of a Diabolo are packaged in. That's one compact package that even held the unbent tail skid wire (more on that in a later post). As I started the build, I was struck by how precise the parts are made and when assembling the main gear assembly, you are surprised by the fact that there is no adjustment for the gear mesh, period. They provide shims to fit the main shaft so you have no slop vertically but that is about it. The mesh is perfect and since only one gear ratio is made, there is no need for any adjustment in the future.

The first group of pictures will get me through the upper chassis assembly and get me ready for the battery box and float struts next. I am now pondering the gluing of the canopy so I might be looking at that for the next few days as I don't want to muck it up Take care.

Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 01.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	9813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 02.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	9814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 03.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	9815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 04.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	9816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 05.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	9817  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 06.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	9818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 07.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	9819  
    Last edited by Keyrigger; 05-05-2016 at 02:32 PM.

I am
    Joe Bajkor
    Last Online
    02-14-2024
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Re: Heli-Baby NT build w/floats

Very cool Don. Looking forward to see it fly.
    MAAC 12443
    Miracles are like magic. You will never see them if you don't believe.

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Joe:

Here are the next group of pictures showing the lower frame and the struts for the floats. The prototype I own has a second set of holes that would put the landing gear in the original configuration drilled into the forward lower frame bracket. I used that as the pattern to turn (with help from the shop meister) the undrilled kit bracket into one that will take the struts in the original location. A matching set of holes were drilled and tapped in the struts so that it made for a very clean installation but one that will take a lot of patience to remove later without a lot of disassembly. Thanks again, Joe.

Don

Name:	Build 08.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	9824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 09.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	9825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 10.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	9826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 11.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	9827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 12.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	9828  

Name:	Build 15.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	9829  

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

By now, I have got to the stage of putting the canopy floor and back in place. There is a second set of parts that are laser cut from plywood however, as I will be using this over and around water a great deal of time, I decided to stay with the CF parts. Unless I preserved the wood, the constant dampness would eventually swell and damage the ply so for this one, the CF parts will have to do. The arms for the servos are being left untouched until the final setup is done so that I can properly set the servo arm 90 degrees to the ground. Take care.

Don

Name:	Build 16.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	9889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 17.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	9890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 18.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	9891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 19.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	9892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 20.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	9893  

Name:	Build 21.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	9894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 22.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	9895  

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

Next is the head and the boom. I have only seen machining this precise on a helicopter before with the sk-rotorkopft head that is on my MH-6 helicopter head. This is even more precise than that one. You put all bearings, spacers, collars, and thrust bearings on the spindle before sliding the grip over this assembly and attaching it to the collar. It makes for a very simple to inspect assembly that you can maker sure of its fit before getting the grips in place.

The boom is not overlooked with the precision parts, either. The two bulkheads that hold the boom, need to be slightly spread to get them on the boom and once snugged down, they hold the boom as if it had been screwed into place. The pushrod guides are a work of art all on their own. They are made from Delrin with brass inserts installed to make for a very smooth pushrod fit. The only deviation from the manual was the installing of the vertical fin on the opposite side of the boom so that the pushrod would not be interfered with by the clamps that hold the fin. Tail rotor is next. Take care.

Don

Name:	Build 23.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	9921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 24.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	9922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 25.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	9923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 26.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	9924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 27.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	9925  

I am
    Joe Bajkor
    Last Online
    02-14-2024
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Very nice Don. I like the DFC done with one arm rather than two. Should eliminate problems with ball links popping off or breaking: AKA - Align!

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

Tonight, it is time for the tail rotor and some more of the general build. The tail is as nicely machined and fitted as the main rotor. This rotor system (main and tail) prove that when a manufacturer is willing to hire good machinists and equip them with top notch machines, beautifully fitted parts can be produced and still keep the price at a normal level rather than astronomical levels. I began to take pictures of the radio installation but almost off the start, I was missing a long extension cable for the second remote. The next day I had the cable but didn't get around to taking the picture of it until a little while ago. The main thing is the mounting of the remote and not what is behind it now. The next group will be of the ESC/motor installation coming up soon. Take care.

Don

Name:	Build 28.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	9936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 29.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	9937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 30.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	9938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 32.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	9939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 34.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	9940  

Name:	Build 35.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	9941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 40.jpg 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	9942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 40A.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	9943  

I am
    Joe Bajkor
    Last Online
    02-14-2024
    Preferred Radio
    Futaba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs Up
    Feedback Score

0 Not allowed!

Picture 4 of 8 shows the bottom of the tail support wire as a half loop. I remember the original having two distinct corners and a flat bottom. I'm disappointed to see this from someone who is so good with details! All else looks great.

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

Yes, it is an issue that I am dealing with but found out I had failed to purchase the correct thickness of wire, sigh. I bought two pieces and they are just a tad thin for the job. It is a correction that has to be done to both my Heli-Baby's. See you soon.

Don

Keyrigger

0 Not allowed!

On my list of "To Do" items for today was the purchase of some wire that would do the job of the tail skid. Naturally, I needed enough for two as I have the prototype sitting with the same incorrect shape as well. I found some 4' 3/32" rod which was just the ticket. It bent up fairly easily and in do order, both were ready for installation. These needed to be longer than the original as it was fitted with smaller tail blades and grips. This setup is nearly 1 1/2' longer and should keep the tips of the blades free of the ground. Take care.

Don

Name:	Build 33B.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	9959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 33A.jpg 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	9958  

Thread Information